Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Creating the cream/burgundy canvas

To answer Sulea's question about how I did the cream/burgundy canvas... I started by painting the canvas with Golden's Titan Buff. Then I glued down a torn strip of script paper down the right-hand side with Golden gel medium (soft gel - matte). Next came the stamping using a flourish stamp from one of my new Michelle Ward rubber stamp plates - the Juliet one (http://www.greenpepperpress.com). I used my red Stazon inkpad for this step. After that I used the gel medium to glue down the picture of the little gypsy girl, coating her with the gel medium too.

Then it was a matter of using some acrylic paint in a burgundy/reddish shade to colour the edges along with some Golden Burnt Umber for some depth. I tend to dry-brush these colours on along the edges so you don't have too much colour. I used the Titan Buff to dry-brush slightly over the canvas in parts - you can see some on the girl.....this tends to drop the image back into the canvas rather than have her looking "stuck-on".

Lastly it was a matter of attaching the coins on the chain up the top, the picture hook thingy with the dangley metal heart and the metal "Hope" word was attached to some of that Etal metal fabric stuff in a gold/brass colour. That's it....really simple....I have another two half-baked for tomorrow - just waiting for the texture paste to dry and I'll try and post them when they're done.

No comments: