Saturday, February 16, 2008

Credit Card Technique Backgrounds

I think Credit Card Technique backgrounds would have to be the easiest and most spectacular of all the different backgrounds that can be made! A big statement I know...but if you haven't tried it grab yourself a piece of sketch paper or cartridge paper, some paint, a water spritz bottle and a credit card - take a tip...don't use your current Visa card, swipe machines don't like paint gumming up their works! lol
Here's my samples for next week's atc class, including what colours I used to make each one. The colours are listed in order of application, one over the other. Water spritzing is done right at the end and no, you don't wait until it's all dry, just keep working constantly. No atc samples yet, just the backgrounds - these are all A4 size (approx 8-1/2" x 11").
First, my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE!!! Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold & Dioxazine Purple (both Golden Paints)...

next...Trans Magenta & Prussian Blue (both Jo Sonja)




next...Jo Sonja Aqua, Micaceous Iron Oxide (Golden), Jo Sonja Warm White



next...Monte Marte (brand) Veridian Green, Folk Art Metallic Antique Copper...


next... Jo Sonja Carbon Black, Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold (Golden), Jo Sonja Warm White...



next... Sapphire & Burnt Umber, both Jo Sonja...

next... Cobalt Teal, then Cadmium Red Light, then Iridescent Silver Fine - all Golden...



....are you sick of them yet????.....

next... Paynes Grey (Golden) then Jo Sonja Warm White...


last one....Jenkins Green, Iridescent Copper Fine (Golden)...


I think I forgot to mention how much I love this technique....as you can tell by the samples here!!! This is one to give it a go, great for covers of altered books and chunkies as well as backgrounds for cards or atc's.
Simple instructions:
1 A4 piece of cartridge/sketch paper (a little thicker than ordinary copy paper)
paints - your choice of colours
water spritz bottle
old credit card
1. Squeeze on a line of paint up the top of the A4 (Quarto sized) piece of paper.
2. Using the credit card at a 45 degree angle drag it down the paper from top to bottom, scraping the paint along as you go....make it thin - you want coverage of the paper but not big clumps of paint.
3. Do the same thing with your second colour, thin line of paint up the top, drag it down...don't wait for any of it to dry, just keep working.
4. Take your spritz bottle and spray about 5 or 6 pumps over the page, trying for some larger splotches of water by putting your top "pump" finger over the hole a bit so it sprays out unevenly.
5. Count to 10, then take your credit card again and drag it down the paper, wiping the excess water and paint off.
6. Marvel at your creation!!!

21 comments:

Jen Crossley said...

Oh Kelsey this techinque is stunning I really love 1,3,5, your so inspirational!!!
Jen

Unknown said...

What a great tutorial Kelsey! Thanks for sharing.

Sam Marshall said...

They look fantastic! Lovely colours.

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing this Kelsey!!! Great Technique Ill definately be trying this out later.

Danielle said...

These are wonderful. I've tried the credit card method in the past and was not very impressed. I'm going to try it again with these colors and using water, I never used water on them.

Thanks for giving a ho hum method a new twist!

Jacky said...

Great tutorial Kelsey...thanks so much sharing. I am just getting into journalling so am going to try this technique on my next page.
Thanks for the inspiration (and for sharing).

Linda M. Cain said...

LOVE IT! I have got to get my Golden paints out and use them again. Thanks for the great inspiration!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelsey.......I haven't did the credit card technique in a long time but will have to do it again after seeing your fabulous examples. Love all the color combos you tried and thanks for sharing :o)

Dawnie said...

hey groover
Fabo backgrounds and can I play with them in photoshop?Luv em all and thanks for sharing the 'mixes'.

Catch ya in the beading class
Prawnface

quirkyartist said...

I'm gonna have a go at this. Such fun. It would make great endpapers for books. I never use my DJs and Myers cards anyway. There's a use for them at last.

Anonymous said...

Isn´t this a fun one... one of my fav techniques too - a high play factor ;) and so beautiful results !!

Sulea said...

Kelsey, your new banner is awesome. ALl your backgrounds are so yummy.. it makes me want to use my current credit card to make some backgrounds, probably safer than using it internet shopping lol.

Ro Bruhn said...

This looks fabulous Kelsey, I must try it, thanks for sharing
Ro

Anonymous said...

i'm totally with you, love this technique too! and loving your new great banner! ah the stuff that happens when out of town for a while.... ;o)

mary schweitzer said...

I am going to take a day and have it be a 'Kelsey technigue day'! I can't wait to play with all the wonderful info you share so kindly.
Thank you for blogging
Mary

Julie H said...

i'm with you Kelsey - thanks for the new colour combinations.

Debbi Baker said...

Fabulous results Kelsey and I am another that agrees with you re this technique! Love your new banner too.

Dot said...

Fantastic tutorial Kelsey! And I LOVE your color combinations. They are luscious..

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Kelsey - love the water spritz effect! I never thought to do that, will have to give it a try. Marva

Sarah said...

Kelsey Please check my blog an award for you

You make my day Hugs Sarah xx

quirkyartist said...

Wow! WOW! I just did it. Matisse silver & then cobalt blue. Gorgeous.