Once again I'll be using watercolours in this class. I know some of the girls don't feel confident using their watercolours, but like anything, the more you use something, the more comfortable you should feel using it. That's my working theory anyway. Granulation sometimes doesn't do what you want it to, though, so a few simple tricks (like not overworking it and using plenty of pigment) hopefully will help achieve an acceptable outcome for them.
Another aspect of granulation is that it requires a fair amount of water, and it can be challenging working on the small scale of an ATC (2.5"x3.5") compared to an 8"x10" or even larger size. It increases the degree of difficulty working so small, but as long as you have sufficient pigment and enough water, it should work ok. 🤞
As a bonus, there are no words used on mine for this technique, as I think the watercolours don't need the added embellishment and can stand on their own. I've also found that cheaper student-grade watercolour tube paints work really well with the Winsor & Newton Granulation Medium, even though the specific tube paints that I bought for class use are not granulating ones (Monte Marte brand). I have a good range of Daniel Smith watercolours in pans that are granulating, and they work brilliantly. Love my Lunar Black!
"Sea-bed"

"Just peachy"
A linocut design stamped on watercolour
paper with Lunar Black for added colour
in the background. This shows how great
Lunar Black granulates. (Thanks for the
idea for the design Sue. 😁)






No comments:
Post a Comment