Monday, July 22, 2019

MAGIC ERASER & ALCOHOL INKS

I recently purchased some new alcohol inks from Riot Art here in Australia.  The brand is Paper Mill and all the samples shown below are made using these inks only.  Ranger is my normal alcohol ink go-to, but I wanted to try these ones out.  I have 20 colours (think that's all that is available) and they are very dense in colour and gorgeous!  Of course, you can use either blending solution or, as I do, 91% alcohol to dilute them down.  For this class, I wanted to use a different applicator that I had read about being used and was impressed with how it works.  The samples below with the stripey look to them is just using this applicator.  What is it?  It's a Magic Eraser!  Don't pay a lot for them from the supermarket, go to one of the cheap stores (Reject Shop, or Red Dot or similar) and buy a pack for only a few dollars.  Cut a piece off, drop on a drop of a couple of different colours, add a little alcohol (or blending solution) and swipe on.  This is how you get the striped effect.  The other ones I have blobbed it onto the card base (I used both Photo Paper and Yupo) like you would with your normal felt.  The alcohol doesn't soak in too much to the sponge and I found by doing a double size of the card (so 5" x 7"), it was easier to control the stripes.  As shown by the first and last card, these were both done at the same time.  The gold that you can see is Pinata Brass or Pinata Gold that has either just been applied directly from a tiny needle-nose bottle, or added and then a little 91% alcohol on top to get it to blend and move around.

"Heavy door"...

"Up at the stars"...

"Escape the ordinary"...

"Seas the day"...

"Join Nasa"...

"Hang on"...

1 comment:

Marcy smith said...

Beautiful to see as per usual your still an atc bloody legend!