Monday, August 17, 2009

Spotlight Technique & Final Beeswax ATC's

Firstly, here are the last couple of Beeswax atc's that were started as demo's in the last Beeswax class.

"En-pointe"...
and "Remember"...


Coming up next is another good ol' fashioned stamping technique called Spotlight Technique, another very effective style for both atc's and cards. The idea is to take an image (in my classes we'll be using stamped images), have 2 copies of the image and then highlight a small portion of the image by colouring it, mounting it on black card, then raising it with foam tape. It looks very effective when seen in the flesh, much more so than on a flat scanner! It's also another excuse to get onto using all those stamps that we all collect. You'd be surprised how many people tell me that they just don't use their stamps enough! Well, here's the perfect excuse!

You can also reverse the spotlight effect by colouring all of the first image and then adding a piece of the same image over the top of a section and not colouring that added piece so it stays black and white! Another way I've used this technique for a printed image was to highlight a portion of an image with a small frame, then painted all over the image with Golden brand of gel medium in Soft Gel - Satin. The layer added was slightly thicker than normal and I used my finger to dab up and down into it to add texture immediately after it was applied. I then highlighted what was in the frame and as it didn't have any of the gel medium on it, it looked different than the rest of the image. You need to click on the image to enlarge it to see the effect. Here it is:

"Ornate"...


Some more samples, "Linked"... (not sure who is the maker of this stamp, I'll look into it.)

and "Moments"... (Paris Moments stamp by Hampton Arts)


More to come...

7 comments:

Svetlana said...

You're right, cuttlebug works really well with beeswax.They all are awesome.

Davinia said...

I'm looking forward to this class. Saw the samples in the shop the other day...wonderful, and you know I'm going to copy yours!

Jen xo said...

all lovely kelsey, great atc and tecniques

Samantha Marshall said...

They look amazing. The spotlight technique looks really cool, I'd love to try this one.

Linda M. Cain said...

I LOVE beeswax. The smell is in itself wonderful. And Cuttlebug pieces...great idea!

Debbi Baker said...

All gorgeous Kelsey but I just love the beeswax ones (but then again, I am very partial to beeswax!!)Love your layering.

Gaby Bee said...

They are fabulous, Kelsey.