Sunday, January 4, 2009

New ATC Technique Book Classes

I've been teaching at Scraptivate for over 2 years now so I figured it was time to recap some of the earlier techniques that I did in my atc classes. I always said I wouldn't do instruction sheets for my atc techniques but now I'm going to as we're going to build up a great technique book full of the atc samples that are made in class. Also, not everyone has a wonderful memory for techniques, (especially if they don't use them for 6 months or more...the techniques, not the brain!!!) so I thought I'd help out by doing instructions so they can refer back to them at a later date. Being my usual wordy self, I tend to "over-instruct" rather than give only sketchy details so I'm hoping the girls are happy to revisit the techniques months after they've been taught.


This is also linked to my goal for 2009. I'm not usually a goal-setter but this year I intend to put together a book with my techniques in it. I'm thinking along the lines of an e-book, mainly because I don't have a spare $10,000 to invest in a professionally made book and also the e-books are instant. I also have more control over how much detail I can go into as well as what pictures I want to include. I may end up making some hard-copies that will be for sale as well, these would be professionally bound and printed on decent paper but still cheaper than doing the whole type-setting thing. Comments??? Suggestions??? Thoughts???


So the first technique we are starting with is Texture Paste (Jo Sonja), also called Molding Paste (Golden) as well as Modelling Paste (Mont Marte) - they are all the same thing, they give texture and are fairly flexible still when dry. We are making the cover of our ATC Technique Book with Texture Paste and the picture below is my front cover of the book. It scans horribly, the colours are all out of whack so I may have to take a picture of it to try to get the true colour. I used Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold as a wash, then a wash of Paynes Gray, then dry-brushed with Interference Oxide Green (Blue Shade). It was this last addition of the interference paint that frightened the scanner.....it made the whole thing look like I'd also dry-brushed it with white paint, the reflective properties of the interference was that bad!!!



Inside the book will go either 2 or 3 atc samples that the girls make in each class and over a year, they should have a wonderful reference book full of their own work to look back on.

This first atc sample is made by using the texture paste with a cuttlebug waste piece as a stencil. I do love this scroll die-cut by Cuttlebug, it's my absolute favourite of all the die-cuts!
"Fable"...
For this next one I lightly scraped the texture paste on and used a foam stamp to get the texture, then spritzed it with glimmer mist when the texture paste had dried. Usually I paint over the texture paste but wanted to try the glimmer mist - perfect!!!
"Memory"...
Lastly, I used the black texture paste (Jo Sonja) that comes in a tube. This is a little difficult to get, but if you can get some, do! It's wonderful stuff! It has a nozzle so you just pipe it out. This is how I did the tree below. Piped the tree out, let it dry overnight, then did a wash of Nickel Azo Gold, dried it, another wash of Paynes Gray, dried it again, then dabbed on some Quinacridone Crimson in places, dried it again and finally a light wash of Titan Buff and dabbed some of this off with a paper towel. Rub'n'buff in gold rubbed lightly in certain places finished it off. Love my Golden Paints!!!
"Tangled Branches"...

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. It was a first for me without my Dad and Joan but it was very busy socially with birthday parties as well as the usual Christmas lunch and New Years Eve party. A fine time was had by all and we remembered our loved ones who weren't with us, but tried not to feel too sad as they wouldn't have been happy about that!

20 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, this is a really cool project, and so ambitious! I'm glad you're doing this. I think a hard copy would be great, but I know they can be prohibitive financially. I've never used any of these products you mention, so I feel very naive. This is my journaling year, so I'm hoping to experiment more with new product and try some of the techniques you discuss. My pages will be a laboratory!

Happy New Year to you, too, Kelsey!

Brenda Grace said...

As always any thing you do that is avaiable to all - I'll have one toooooo please with great glee on the propsect of a hard cover version of your book.

Glad to hear you had a busy period to keep you occupied. See you soon xxx

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I totally understand about the "not remembering" after I do a technique in a class.

Good luck on your endeavors and thank you for the info.

Linda M. Cain said...

Terrific stuff here, girl! Keep up the great work...and TFS!
Linda

Mary S. Hunt said...

moving forward it good!

your work is SO gorgeous! ...
it is a shame that a hard reference book would not have the honor to grace its pages with your work
real books are more my desire than an electronic book

cost is a factor! understood!!

and i suppose i could just print my own copy of your book
but it isn't the same...

altho it IS good you want to create a reference book!

i guess i haven't answered very well...but i am sending it just the same
you might get something out of it
:)

mary schweitzer said...

I think the cover is WONDERFUL!! I love modeling paste, one of my fave tools. How did you get the stamping in it? Do tell please!!!
Mary

Danielle Sheehan said...

hi kelsey, love the book. i've said it before...i wish i could move to WA to do your classes. I would love to get my hands on one of those books for sure.

PS HAPPY NEW YEAR! xx

Davinia said...

Can't wait for the classes. The cover looks great as do the ATC'sand an ebook sounds like a great idea,so glad your Christmas and New Year were happy.

Carol Q said...

woo, just found your blog Kelsey. been looking for new inspiration for a while and you have given me loads. many thanks!

Genevieve said...

Might just have to make time to take your classes Kelsey. And I'd like my first edition Kelsey O'Mullane Technique Book personally signed! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

The ebook sounds great------------
I would buy it
Thanks for all your ideas

kathleen

Caramella said...

About time. Make sure we can purchase all the golden paints. Nothing is more irritating than to return home after a class without the right golden paint. I don't know what I could do to you, but don't claim I haven't warned you.
Looking forward to see you
Carmen:)

Shelly said...

Would love to see you do a book !! Count me in for a purchase.
Your samples are beautiful. Think I'll get the molding paste out next time I feel a crafting spell coming on.
Hope your year is off to a great start.
:-)
Shelly

Anonymous said...

Kelsey you never "over intstruct" you are an excellent teacher. I am looking forward to the first class on the 10th of Jan and you know I am first in line for your book. See you soon.

lisacrofts
lisahaigh@hotmail.com

Sulea said...

Ohhh Kelsey.. this book will be priceless!!!!whether an ebook or hardcopy.. this is one book i would be happy to buy.. my memory is like a sieve these days..you are a FANTASTIC teacher and ever so patient and always so giving and sharing:)

how about a website/e book with clickable links on a sidebar or index of the various techniques..so you could click on on a link and it brings up the techniques and examples.. i've seen ebooks with clickable links but don't ask me how to do that .. i wouldn't have a clue LOL

Anyway.. so excited that you are doing this. Thank you :)

Jen Crossley said...

Wow this looks awesome Kelsey,I love the jo sonja texture paste it looks Beautiful.I cant believe its 2 year you have been teaching .Wow girl I remember when you didnt think you could teach .You have come alomg way kelsey Your amazing
Jen

Seth said...

Great idea for a book. The cover you made is brilliant!

Judy said...

Ooooh ahhhhh love that cover!

Susan Sager Brown said...

Yes, Yes, Yes Do a hard book, e book whatever. I'll take 2. Can I get it tomorrow??
These texture-y pieces are all wonderful. I'll take 2. teehee.
Your positive attitude is an inspiration as much as your artwork!xoSusan

Sam Marshall said...

Hi Kelsey- the e-book sounds absolutely fantastic!!! I would LOVE this.♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥