Tuesday, May 10, 2022

WATERCOLOUR WICKING

 

Distress Oxide Inks and Distress Inks are both water-reactive which can be an added bonus when you want a stamped image that is not too perfect and precise. I used the Distress Oxide Inks for my examples below as I prefer the extra opacity of those inks as well as their oxidation that softens the colours. I have done the technique in the past where you ink up your stamped image, then spritz the stamp and press down onto your receiving surface. This creates a watercolour effect and blurs your stamped image. This one is different in that you stamp your image directly from an inked stamp, then spritz your stamped image with water which causes the inks to wick out and bleed. Working on atc's doing this technique can be challenging as you are working with such a small surface to start with and you need to be careful with which images you choose. I must admit, I wasn't particularly happy with any of mine as I was working on them, but found as I added more colour in the background or added some shading where needed and some words, they came together in the end.

"Aura of foreboding"
(This one is my favourite! I 
used my Stabilo All black 
pencil & my aqua brush to draw the
figures in the forest on the bottom left.
It can be nerve-wracking to spritz
the words directly on the background
as you don't know how much they will
wick out, and black is super-strong!)


"Get busy living"
(The Frayed Burlap tumbleweed stamps
wicked out really well but I found the
Hickory Smoke on the top of the twiggy
tree didn't want to wick.)


"WTF"
(This one has some added shading under the hyenas.)


"Live everyday"
(The floral stamps lost their definition a fair bit
so I used my Unipin fine liner to redraw the
shapes of the flowers.)


"Sea the positive"
(This one wicked out a lot!)


"Enjoy today"


Finally, a card that I made using my left-over atc that wasn't required for the class. I've started to make sure I turn these excess atc's into cards to add to my card stash for when they could be needed.





1 comment:

Melodyscraps, mixed media goddess said...

I particularly enjoyed this post. Do you do any trading by mail? I post a triannual swap through my blog and I'd love for you to participate sometime.